Thursday, April 29, 2010

Day 60: A Never-Ending Choice

Being healthy for a lifetime is a never-ending choice. We can't decide on one day to be healthy and on another to be unhealthy. We have to constantly make a conscious choice to be healthy daily.

It is not easy to make this choice daily. I struggle with my decision to live healthier. I know it shouldn't be a struggle, but it really is. Why would I want to live in an unhealthy way? Why would I want to put harmful chemicals in my body and call it food? Why would I deliberately run the increased risks of heart attack, cancer and other deadly ailments?

Those questions have a fairly simple answer: Because for the most part it is easier, cheaper and a lot of times the stuff that is "bad" for you simply tastes better.

Still, every time I think about food now I evaluate in my mind whether I should eat it or not. Should I eat that pickle? Should I eat that steak? Should I eat that carrot (yuck! NO!)?

If nothing else, this process of trying to be healthier has made me more conscious of the things I am putting into my body.

The biggest and perhaps hardest hurdle to overcome for me will be continuing on with this learning and being healthier after the Be A Loser Contest is over for this year. It is really easy to think about good health when it is something I have to write about at least weekly. It is another story altogether when I am not "forced" to think about it.

I want to believe that I will keep learning and that I will keep striving toward better health through better eating habits. I want to believe that I will forge on in the effort to lose weight. I want to.

Will I, though? That is the question on which I ponder the most. I think I will because I feel so much better than I did 8 weeks ago. I think I will because I actually like eating fruits and vegetables. I think I will because in spite of being lazy, I do enjoy riding my bike.

Thought for the Day:


“Walking your talk is a great way to motivate yourself. No one likes to live a lie. Be honest with yourself, and you will find the motivation to do what you advise others to do.”

No comments:

Post a Comment