Friday, April 30, 2010

Day 61: An Apple A Day...

I try to eat an apple every day. Not only is an apple a good source of fiber, they also taste good. I am thinking of planting an apple tree so that in a few years I can have my own harvest of apples, but so far that is just a thought. I also started to eat prunes. I read on the package of prunes that "ounce for ounce" a prune has more fiber than an apple. Well, I like prunes, too, so... I eat both. I think I am getting good fiber.

One thing that is maybe lacking from my "diet" is protein. I should eat protein at every meal and sometimes I just don't do it. It helps keep me feeling full instead of hungry all the time. Since I have a salad for lunch almost every day, I have started to add some grilled chicken to the salad as a little bit of a flavor enhancer and as a source of that necessary protein.

Another thing I have been doing on a regular basis is NOT drinking coffee. Today was the exception. I drank coffee for the first time in over two months and I feel awful! I overdid it by consuming approximately 8 cups and it has left me with an "out of sorts" feeling. It is terrible. I don't know if I am coming or going. I am thinking if I ever do drink coffee again, it will be ONE cup, not ONE pot!

If you are following the blog, you may have seen that I am also attempting to be more consistent in writing it.  It isn't always easy because I find it is a lot easier to put it off and then conveniently "forget" about it. But I want to be more accountable, so I am working on it.

I have continued to ride my exercise bike, although I must admit that I slacked off for one week. I began again yesterday with an 11 minute ride at an average of 15-16 miles per hour for the first 10 minutes and then around 13 MPH for the last minute. It felt good. I worked up a nice little sweat and burned off around 50 calories according to the monitor on the bike.  According to Jillian Michaels (one of the trainers on Biggest Loser) if you ride an exercise bike for one hour at an average of 13 MPH you can burn 600 calories. WOW! I am not quite at the point where I think I should ride for an hour, but I will get there.

Thought for the day


You have to stay in shape. My grandmother, she started walking five miles a day when she was 60. She's 97 today and we don't know where ... she is.

- Ellen DeGeneres

No comments:

Post a Comment