Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Be A Loser With Karin: Week Three—Starting a new lifestyle

From the Independent News Herald

by Karin L. Nauber
karin@inhnews.com
http://bealoserwithkarin2010.blogspot.com

Eating right isn’t always easy, especially if you have a history of unhealthy eating habits.

For the past week I have been eating a lot of vegetables. It has made me feel better, I have to admit, but I don’t plan on becoming a vegetarian anytime soon.

For me, vegetables and fruits can become a part of a healthier diet as they should. In the past, my version of vegetables was a bag of potato chips and French fries. Just the thought of them makes me hungry!

But I found out that I really like raw cauliflower and steamed broccoli. I have always liked asparagus. This week we steamed it instead of boiling it and it was great. We also made a vegetable soup that was very tasty. So vegetables aren’t all bad!

I also took on a new found affection for fruits which I hadn’t had since I was a child. Growing up my mom almost always served us a fruit of some sort for dessert. When people talk about dessert, I don’t usually think of cake or ice cream, I think of peaches or plums or fruit cocktail.

A lot of us have gone for the fast and easy foods which have lead, in part, to our overweight lifestyle.

It is a lifestyle, you know, being overweight. It changes who we are, how we think, how we dress and how we behave around others.

Fortunately, we have the power to change things.

Part of this contest is obviously to win the prizes, but another more important part is to hopefully teach you some lifestyle changes that will benefit you for the rest of your life.

Eating more fresh vegetables is part of a healthier lifestyle. This summer you might want to think about planting a garden to have a supply of fresh vegetables. It is also a great way to be physically active being out there weeding and tending your garden.

Have a healthy week. This week I am starting a low glycemic index diet, or as my accountability partner would call it—my transformation.

I am still working on getting into the hang of writing my blog daily. I do have some posts on there. You can check it out at: http://bealoserwithkarin2010.blogspot.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment