Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Week one: Starting strong (From the Independent News Herald)

by Karin L. Nauber
karin@inhnews.com
bealoserwithkarin2010.blogspot.com


By the time you read this we will already be underway with the 2010 Be A Loser With Karin weight loss challenge.

The initial weigh-in took place on Monday, March 1 with 38 signing up and getting weighed, measured and having their blood sugar and BMIs calculated.

As promised, my starting weight is 273.8. At the end of the 2009 loser contest I weighed 264.6. It seems I have gained a bit. Nah, let’s be realistic. I gained a lot.

As we begin the challenge this year, I think it would be a very true statement to say that no one can make me feel as bad about myself as I can.

The internal critic that resides inside of all of us, is typically our worst enemy.

This critic tells us we are not any good. It tells us we are unworthy. It tells us a lot of things that just are not true.

The worst part of this critic is that it never gives us ways to “fix” the “problems” as the critic sees them.

If my critic says I am “fat,” it might tell me to “lose weight,” but it offers no useful or practical ways on how to do that.

This year I made a promise to myself to start strong with my resolve to lose weight. Part of that resolve is silencing the internal critic or at least trying to change the negative things into positives.

That won’t be easy, but it is something we can all strive to do. Let’s turn being losers into something positive!

My goal during the next 12 weeks is to lose 25 pounds.

That is a “hefty” goal, but one that I think I can do.

My original goal was to lose 40 pounds, but I have some good friends who tell me that I need to be more realistic, so 25 it is.

I challenge you all to set a realistic goal with some good, healthy ways to achieve the goal.

I intend to again count my carbs. I am laying off the soda and will be attempting to eat portion sizes that are more suitable for one person than for three.

I am also planning to have an accountability partner. This is a person who is also involved in the challenge who will be relying on me to keep her accountable and vice versa. I have never tried anything like this before, so I am looking forward to it.

As you know, too, I am starting my daily (or just about daily) blog. I hope you will enjoy the insights, links and quotes that I put on there.

Let’s start strong and more importantly, let’s finish strong!

I leave you with this thought for the week: Most people are worried about what they eat between Thanksgiving and Christmas when they should be worried about what they eat between Christmas and Thanksgiving!

Have a productive, weight-losing week!

1 comment:

  1. Feel free to comment on these blogs! I encourage you to list your ideas and what you might be doing to get and stay healthier.

    Karin

    ReplyDelete